Friday 15 June 2012

Water Rescue Course - Nurhan's take:

Nurhan's take:

Last week was spent at a water rescue course in Bergen. Bergen has an environment for this which isn't just Newfies. Above picture is taken ten minutes walk from cabin that my mother and I were staying at, and sadly Kin wasn't allowed in...

This was as far as the scope of his lead let him get. He was fine outside but I'm used to having him about and was a bit worried having him sleeping outside in a new place, that said he was fine the two evenings that he slept outside, although on returning home he didn't want to go in the back garden if the door wasn't going to be open.


He was a bit skeptical on the ferry, which is a surprise as we've been on plenty. On the way back to Stavanger the little chap wouldn't get out of the car, but think this was more to do with the fact that he was tired. Lots of new experiences for him.

Sadly I don't have very many pics of him on the actual course, mainly owing to the fact that I was in the water training with him. Here I'm in the water trying to convince him to join me directly off the pontoon. Diving is something that he's never done before. Karma (my old Newfie) 'managed' it once, he was about four months at the time and was on a jetty and he was leaning out to inspect ducks (Karma inspected everything, he even once swallowed a stinging jelly fish...) and being only four months old he was a bit clumsy and over balanced and managed to land on his back in the water with all four legs in the air!

Shortly after the above picture was taken, Kin decided to join me:
If you look carefully you can see some black fur just above the water's surface, this was Kin's first ever dive!

Then I had to sprint, as Kin doesn't believe that I should be in the water and his response verges on panic until I am out of the water. Try to distract him as much as you like, but it makes no difference, he's totally focused on me and swims straight to me, claws and all, when he arrives he doesn't know what to do, so keeps pawing me, which as his paws are bigger than my hands and his nails are considerably longer, isn't the most pleasant of experiences.

What he should do is this:
This is another Newfie, Odin, towing Unni in.

Not sure which dog the above is.


 Above is a Newfie.


 This and the next three pics are the same Leon Berger






 The above and the below pictures are a Spanish Water Dog, had a Portuguese WD as well on the course.

 Never seen a German Shepherd, doing this but he was good.

 Next three are a Newfie.

 Below is another Leon Berger.

Amazingly enough did manage to get Kin to pass his SoR (Swimming and Rescue Test), amazing because part of the test is to rescue the owner; some creative thinking from the instructors, Inger-Anne, and Hanne actually managed to get Kin (reluctantly) to tow me in. Kin & I now have some things to work on.

Now despite the sun, it wasn't hugely hot, which can amply be seen by the choice of summer garment Unni is wearing:
My wardrobe is definitely missing one of these fine garments! Says he typing this up in the evening when it's a sweltering 6 deg C outside (not including windchill...).

Now all Newfies are cute, but I really wanted to bring this little lady home:

Nina, I think is four months old - this colour of Newfie is known as a Landseer, after a British painter of the same name who had this coloured Newfie's and was good at getting them in his paintings (as opposed to most Newfies who are good at being painted - wooden houses in Norway need regular painting on the outside, and  Newfies being naturally curious isn't always the best combination!

I'd like to say a big 'thank-you' to the instructors and the participants (two & four legged) who made this so much fun.

This is Kin relaxing after a hard day of trying to keep me out of the water!


No comments:

Post a Comment