Monday 21 February 2011

Wk7- Nurhan:

Nurhan's take:

First of all a 'hearty thanks' to the folk at Panda antivirus... I am writing this on my work laptop, mainly owing to the fact that my big (slow, but good screen) laptop, has a virus on it as the Panda antivirus 'decided' to up grade itself, and leave the computer un-protected whilst it didn't manage to do this, my fliptop (which I normally write this blog on), was upgraded and then wouldn't connect the internet. I've wasted several hours on this and am now right royally (insert appropriate expletive) off with Panda... Arh and the help function, it takes longer to use this then to fly to China to get a new laptop... Now in my opinion, you should not notice your antivirus protection, it should just work... you pay money, it works... This is probably the last year that I use Panda (I was also less than impressed that they ran a credit check on me when I renewed the order... more time wasted checking out who was checking me out and why... if I don't pay the bill, then they don't send me the product... how hard can this be)... so if you are looking for antivirus protection on your computer... don't pick Panda!

Right, now I've got that rant and rave out the way... our week (Kin, after being in 'terrorist mode' is now sleeping, so I have to update this weeks log...)

Firstly at the beginning of the week the little chap was 14.5 kgs.
Kin's probably a bit young to play ice Frisbee... Still he was interested...


Kin is having problems understanding that his place is floor level... we're working on this...

Even though he has a new bed cover:

Now, Kin has inherited Karma's old bed, but being a puppy his bladder doesn't last the night... and the bed gets it... Now Karma's bed is a 1/4 cut down, human adult mattress with a .made nylon cover, and a second cover was required.

There's a shop in Stavanger that sells cloth, and the woman who runs it also has her own clothing line and she tailor makes clothes for people: http://www.studiofeline.no/index.html I like creative folk, but whilst I was in there, explaining what I wanted she pointed out that she'd met Karma several times... Sometimes I'm certain I don't recognise my own reflection, but when she mentioned it, I twigged who she was. Karma and I had met her, her partner, and her two dogs quite often at Bråstein. They also lost their red setter in July last year.


(red one is the new cover, the black one is the old... both doing sterling service).

Although he still retains his terrier tendencies:


Obviously last Sunday was the weekly Bråstein trip, where we walked as far as the first cross roads (~300 m... and back...) okay it took a bit over an hour...

Then instead of his Sunday bath, he ended up being mauled by Matt's kids (Eira, & Issac):



He wasn't too helpful, when we had to clear snow from the driveway... but being a Newfie, he loves the snow.



He was curious when it first arrived.


In puppy class we practised contact exercises. Unfortunately puppy class coincided with a sleep cycle... Now the last exercise was walking around and seeing if your dog would follow you or wander off... I mentioned that I'd probably have to carry Kin, if I wanted him to 'follow' me... Still had to try... Everyone else walked 50 m away and then their puppy was released and all of them did wonderfully well. There was an German Shepard, who has this fantastic tail... that's longer than the rest of the dog!!! Anyway with Kin I walked ten metres away... he lifted his heavy, sleepy head and then went back to sleep mode... I'm sure that the class was mightily impressed at my new tactic...   I lay flat on the floor and shouted "bed time". Over Kin came and lay on my stomach! Very cute, and this class is gooooooood.


Kin, in a sleep cycle... we have sleep and we have 'terrorist without agenda' cycles... Don't be fooled by the eyes, they are about to close.



When in terrorist mode, he pulled an envelope that had got stashed away, down and I found this year's Newfie calendar and the last Newfie magazine... which had a great pic on the cover!

The pic with the dishwasher was from last year's Newfie calendar... this must have been taken by someone who was being visited, as there is no way a Newfie owner would let a puppy do this, as then the adult dog, all 75 kgs of him would expect to be able to do this...


Karma on the left, Kin on the right, three years in between, but the food is still kept on this side of the door... and look is similar! (Although the scale isn't correct... Kin is currently ~1/4 of the size that Karma was in this pic {look at the door hinge on the left to get the idea}).

Kin had has first trip to the beach:

 Here he is with two of his favourite toys, Maddie to the left and Ingvild to the right...
Now with giant breeds you have to be careful on beaches. Karma tore his cruiate ligament on the beach, he was playing with a smaller dog, (when Karma was two years old), the smaller dog was doing sharp turns, Karma extended his leg, but the sand didn't give him purchase and his ligament broke... As I now know how this happens I'm being careful with Kin, but as the sand was frozen, happily there were no worries regarding loose surface.

He was somewhat tired when we got back to the car:

But another first was that he and Maddie shared the back of the car together and she didn't eat him!

Now today (Sunday) should have been another Bråstein day, but selflessly, I left Kin at Ingvild's, with her and Madie; so that he could get used to being with other folk. It was naturally purely coincidental that today was an absolutely stunning day. Minus something or other, little wind, and glorious sunshine... so as I 'had to' be without Kin for a few hours, I went flying at Veraland (~22 min drive from SVG):
Now 'because' I don't have a tandem licence, I can't take Kin with me:

Although there are plenty of folk that do...

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2011/01/kui-the-paragliding-dog/

Not much phases a Newfie, but I don't think Kin would be impressed by this, and Karma joined me on my paragliding intro course and I am fairly certain that the look in his eyes was him trying to say, "what kind of silliness is this! There's all this great ground to sniff, and you have to go off galavanting up there... I'm just going to ignore you and go to sleep, wake me up once the silliness has ended..."

Other noteworthy thing this week is the little chap is up to being alone for four hours, as far as I can tell without any issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment