Thursday 14 April 2011

If only I could bottle it! - Nurhan

Nurhan's take:

There's something about Newfie puppies that just makes folk want to climb in and give them a cuddle... If I could just figure out what it is and cover my body with it, my life would be so different. Here's Christina after her first high tour with a paraglider, and rather than buzzing at having been flying, she climbs into the back of the car to cuddle Kin... still he didn't complain!

 These two pics are Kin and I at the take off at the Nicostarten Eggebø, kindly taken by Carlos in between flights and tree sacrifice... One ferry trip to get over here, and Kin gets to meet lots of folk, who keep an eye on him. No livestock out yet but soon he'll get to meet those as well, although need to be careful with cows as if they get spooked they will trample him and me, cow's look docile but can be very dangerous for dogs, especially slow, giant breed dogs.

This was the first time that Kin had seen me drop into the air, and apparently his complaints were quite vocal, until he was distracted by a petting session from one of the girls!



Beautiful skiing conditions at the weekend in the mountains, Matt and his kids kindly looked after Kin to allow me to get some great steep skiing in, although with rise in temperature the avalanche risk was significant so some slopes had to be avoided.

Now on returning home, Matt came out with I had three single women in my house to meet Kin... this is significantly better than I have managed in the last (too many) months! Again if I could only isolate it and bottle it!

Kin wasn't impressed when I ventured onto the roof of Anu's and Scott's house to look at the chimney (they have a modification on the chimney which my neighbour and I have been talking about putting on ours, and as their roof was sooooo easy to get up on, and I had a camera seemed ideal). Also it's good for Kin to see different things going on, so he doesn't get freaked out later. Incidentally Scott and Anu are the reason that I am in Norway, which I remind them/blame them for everytime something happens!!!

This building is Stavanger's Observatory. It's ~ 300 m away from where Kin and I live and on clear nights the folk that run it can roll the roof back and inside is a large (by armature sizes) telescope. It's intresting talking to the folk who run this as they can talk animatedly about the subject of stars, planets, and other heavenly bodies  and more than once Karma and I were out for a night stroll and got invited in to look at some point of light on the other side of the galaxy, through their telescope. They also invariably made a fuss over Karma... Kin has yet to meet them.


The view from here is good, and like the view from my house we get to see when the snow has arrived in the hills and it's time to get the skis out. Below is (I'm sure there is a word for this but can't think what it is), a compass rose with distances to different features that can be seen from here, some over 100 kms distant.

Pictures don't do the view justice. Sitting out in the Fjord, (just above the white house) is the world's biggest crane vessel Thialf she has two cranes each rated to 7 200 te lift capacity (here cranes used to be rated to 6 800 te capacity; the vessel that holds all lifting records is Saipem 7000, she's also a semi submersible crane vessel with two derrick cranes, each crane rated to 7 000 te... thus when Hereema recertified the cranes on Thialf... ).



Talking of boats, here's my cat, sans mast, which was damaged after she blew over in the autumn storms. Here's Kin 'helping' to move a concrete tie down. A friend Jan-Inge, suggested that I go and have a chat with the folk that run Lundsvågen, about drilling into the tarmac and putting two expansion bolts in as extra tie downs, not only were they happy to let me do this, they even gave me the expansion bolts. Need to do some work on her but no the weather is warming up need to get her ready to sail again.
This is Karma in front of my old cat. Karma had a habit of getting in all photos, although it was very difficult to actually get a good photo of him. Cat is no place for a dog, but did have Karma out on yachts a few times.

But I like sailing dinghies and catamaran's too much to buy something with a lump of lead on to take Kin onboard. Added to that it's not easy getting a grown Newfie on and off a yacht either!

 Yesterday evening sneaked off to go flying. Now Karma seemed happier to be off the lead in my garden whilst I went and partook in such 'silliness'. Kin doesn't know any better, so am trying to take him with me to as many places as I can. Flew for over an hour yesterday. Kin was behind the car
 Which is just by the green trees in the swing of the road, next to the Jæren Hang og Paraglider Club house:
http://www.jhpgk.com/index.php
Plenty of folk going back and forth. I think that he seemed quite happy:

On the drive back we stopped off at Bråstein (aka, 'the dog woods'); where we took a trip for a few hundred metres. Kin got adopted by two lovlies, and I asked him several times for an introduction, but he acted as though he didn't know what I was talking about - Karma wasn't good at 'sharing the love' either...

Now if only I could isolate it and bottle it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment