Wednesday 27 April 2011

Paddling trip - Nurhan

Nurhan:

The only bit of this that has anything to do with Kin is that one of my neighbours, Jan kindly, came and took him out whilst we were paddling.

I used a helmet cam today... it's not a great helmet cam, but as I am not on Facetube, I said that I'd put the vid clip in here, so Atle, Matt, & Pete (who I was paddling with) can see it. We paddled a new rapid today that we've looked at over the years but it's been covered in fishermen... now we are outside the fishing season. Much discussion regarding grade, I'd say it's a big bouncy grade three, but you don't want to swim on this section, so if you are not happy paddling grade four, I'd say that you should give this section a miss.

Now turn your laptops to the side and enjoy the vid clip... which really doesn't give you any real indication of what this paddle/section of river is like, although it does match my recolection... I entered, got bounced around a lot and then exited:

Creek boats are a bit OTT on this, but it's the first (proper) outdoor paddle of  the season, water level is surprisingly high with melt water, which means that the water is cooooooold, and we didn't know what to expect.

(We did also paddle another section of river a short drive away, that's considerably longer than this section but not as challenging).

2 comments:

  1. It must be quite tiring paddling with your head turned 90 degrees. Be aware of future neck-problems ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arh... that explains a few things this morning...

    Interestingly enough the helmet mount is on the side, but there seems to be no way to flip the image to the horizontal.

    Second rapid we tried it on, was completely washed out and it looks like flat water. And the third rapid (SLB - Simon's Lost Bottle), it decided that it wasn't going to work at all on...

    At some point I'll have a look at a Hero helmet cam, as these are really rather good and very well priced for their capabilities... Till then it'll be a sore neck ;-)

    ReplyDelete